Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cycling - Bumps, Stitches & Bruises

I have ridden a bike around 4,000 to 6,000 miles a year for the last 15 years here in the Coachella Valley. A great place to ride if you do not want a lot of hills. As golfers say "it's all down hill to the Sultan Sea". 

Before I moved to Palm Desert, I rode a lot in Seattle growing up and going to college. When I could I rode in Scotland and other places that I have lived. I have never worn a helmet thinking that if I got hit by a car - I didn't want to be a vegetable - just run over me. 

I am an aggressive rider. My theory is if I ride fast enough and stay in front of the traffic - they will be able to see me, see that I know what I am doing and treat me like they would any other car. I have never even had a close call riding on the highways.

So, when I woke up in Desert Hospital, having no recollection of what had happened - I was a little surprised. All that the emergency room personal could tell me is that I must have hit a parked car. I was brought by ambulance - I checked and there was no police report. It was a hot day - 108 - but that isn't as hot as I have ridden in over the years. I had been averaging about 140 miles a week for a few months with not a hint of exhaustion. I constantly drink water throughout the day.

I cannot tell you what happened. I have amnesia for the period from about 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm. They tell me that I had been "out of my mind" asking the same questions while in the hospital. I left the hospital around 8:00 pm. I followed doctors orders and stayed awake on a friends couch until 3:00 am when I went home.

Should I have been wearing a helmet? I would have to say yes. I would have lessened my injuries to my head - concussion and all that. But I think that I would have broken my nose and knocked out my front teeth. 

It is now 5 days since the accident. I am still suffering the affects of the accident. I took between 12 and 15 stitches in the right forehead that are healing nicely. I have used a lot of "Neosporin". Friends tell me that I'm not just another pretty face any more and I respond with "I'm going for their sympathy look, instead of just my good looks and cute smile."

I am in the process of repairing the broken forks, handle bars and break handles - I should be back riding before the weekend - YES! - I will be wearing a helmet. I am building up my stamina by walking about an hour or longer each day. I like the outdoors rather than the gym. It's something about the fresh air and changing scenery. 

Maybe someday I will remember what happened - or maybe this is the universe's way of a wake up call - that I am not invincible and should take better care of myself. If I wasn't in such good shape, it would have been a lot different.

Keep on riding

Your Life - Your Rules!
Namaste Speedo

No comments: