Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Risk - Know Reward

I know that this is not a new earth shacking statement - but still it's a play on words that struck me this morning as I overheard a couple talking to their young adult children. As I watched I witnessed both the young man and woman who I assume were on their way back to college somewhere - sit a little taller, more secure - knowing that they had a loving, supportive relationship with their parents and they could chase their dreams.

I took the liberty in the spelling - replacing it with the positive 'know'. It jumped off the page at me. I wish I had had a deeper religious schooling so I could have heard and understood this 'know' as a kid. I believe that it would have changed my life. I would have had the courage to chase my dreams and desires early in my adult life because instead of having a fear of success/failure mentality - I would have had my perspective changed to a positive experience.

I would have had a "knowing" that whatever I did or dreamed I could accomplish - I would experience the journey for what it was; Character revealing. Instead, I always looked at the destination. I cheated myself out of wonderful experiences - personal development and self-esteem.

Why am I so moved to write about this today?

I am still in the process of self-discovery - once again. I am walking through the journey revealing my codependent roots, bringing them out of the darkness of denial and exposing them to the sunlight of the spirit.

I have walked through a couple of 12 step programs over the last 20 years and I have learned much about myself. But this journey is exposing the very roots of my fears in - business, personal, romantic, creative - all my relationships; including my relationship with me and a higher power.

If you are like me and have had your dreams destroyed, shaken, delayed by other people in your life - including yourself - I offer you a way to capture those lost dreams by taking a hard look at CoDA. Give it 6 meetings to be fair to yourself.

Try different meetings until you hear the message of hope and love from its' members. It's all about having healthy, loving, successful relationships without relinquishing who you are and what your dreams are. Jump in and go after the whole enchilada - with the loving guidance of a sponsor - dive into working the program - the 12 steps. What a wonderful journey of revealing 'you' to yourself. You will be amazed at the wonderful person you will meet, love, cherish - you will become your own best friend.

You will understand why I wrote about "No Risk - Know Reward!"

Your Life - Your Rules!
Namaste Speedo

No comments: