Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Respecting Commitments

I am sitting here stewing over assuming that someone would do what they said they would do at a specific time.

I was brought up to keep my word and appointments. If something comes up, I was taught to call and make other arrangements - to communicate so the other party doesn't have to wonder what's going on. It's respectful. It's courtesy. It's the proper thing to do. 

For two days my friend told me that he had an errand to run and would be right over. To me that means maybe 15 or 30 minutes - not unreasonable. The first day I wanted to know what time so I could make other plans to remain productive while I waited or to be ready because we wanted to squeeze in a visit to the hospital to comfort a friend. Two hours later he showed up and acted as if nothing was wrong. 

The following day this same friend lead me to believe that he had an errand to run and would be right over to pick up something - maybe a 3 minute stop - and then he would be on his way. I prepared the items for pick up and waited. And waited. No call. 3 and a 1/2 hours later - still no word.

Since I was brought up by a man who based his livelihood and our families welfare from sales, (ie to be on time and prompt to close the sale) I feel totally disrespectful to not even - after a 1/2 hour to explain that he couldn't do it today. 

I believe that we know at the time we make a commitment, appointment, that we know if we will do what we say we are going to do. It's not that difficult. I do not say yes unless I mean yes. I do not say no unless I mean no. Am I that unreasonable to expect the same thing from others? It seems that I was born on a different planet. . maybe they were.

Today people will tell you what they think you want to hear and then blow you off at their convenience. 

How you do handle being blown off at an others whim? In business, to find someone who is trustworthy - specially in these economic times - standing out from the crowd, being respectful, communicating - means a lot. 

Your Life - Your Rules!

Namaste Speedo

No comments: