Monday, July 28, 2008

The End of My Rope

For me - it takes a long time to get to the end of my rope. I don't know why, but I will hang on to something - behaviors or people - far longer than I should.

What I'm talking about are "habits".

When I looked my habits or Non-Productive Character Traits I discovered the majority of them have out lived their usefulness. But, for some reason I continue to hang on to them. It's as if - as a girlfriend once put it "without your character defects - you wouldn't have any character at all". Now, I know that she was kidding - but there is some truth in her observation.

For most of us, we will hang onto something - hairstyle, dress, sarcasm, opinion, relationships, job or whatever because we feel that we own it. We've always acted that way. It gives us a sense of identity. It's who we think we are. Habits!

Okay - here's the question I - and I suspect you too - might ask yourself: What would people think of me if I suddenly changed? What would I do? How would I react to familiar situations? I've had these habitual reactions for years - they're mine. They've served me well!?

When I come to the end of my rope - it usually arrives with pain caused by emotional loss.

Change happens in an instant - I just don't know how long it takes to arrive at that instant. But what I do know is that when I decide to act or react differently it's uncomfortable for me and the people who are use to me behaving in a certain way. They're shocked. I can read it on their face.

So it all breaks down to my remaining persistent and practice, practice and more practice - until I have removed my old behavior and I become comfortable with the new me. It only takes 21 days to change a habit. All I have to do is practice forming this new habit for 21 days and it'll be mine. Sweet!

Now - I must remain vigilant if I really want to become this new person by not excusing my old behavior when I do slip by backward - owning up to it and making amends immediately. This is the only way I know to change my habits.

Now about that rope. When I practice becoming the new man that I want to be it shortens my rope and my life becomes happier. Isn't that what we all want - to be happy!?

How long is your rope?

Namaste Speedo

No comments: