Thursday, July 3, 2008

Why Chase Your Potential?

With all that has occurred over the past 10 days - Jose's and Jeanette's passing - I though that now is the good time to try to explain Chase Your Potential.

I have always been a great believer in the spirit in each of us. Since I was a child I would believe the best in my friends, siblings, parents, teachers, politicians, leaders, the Seahawk's and Mariner's - I guess it was in the 70's for the teams.

I believe that we are born pure spirit and it is - or we allow it - taken away from us through education, life's experience, work, etc. As we get older and settle down, we get reconnected to our spirit through life's events. It was this belief in our spirit that brought me to coaching friends and clients.

About 10 years ago, I was watching an interview with professional golfer Davis Love III talking about how he improved his game and world standings - I think he'd just won the Players Championship or the PGA. He told a story, not unlike a lot of our stories, that people always told him what potential he had to succeed in golf since he was a kid. He had the talent and pedigree - his father was a famous teaching pro. When he wasn't succeeding like people or reporters deemed he should, they pointed out that "with all that potential - what could be going wrong?"

After living through this emotional and professional stress for years - I think this is how it went - one day Davis said screw it to himself "I'm going to chase my potential, not what others think of me", or something like that.

So that day I pasted up a hand written sign on a 5 x 7 index card with the words "Chase Your Potential" on my wall. I would look at the card day after day and ask myself what was my potential. One day I had an epiphany; my potential had nothing to do with my talent, or skills or training. My potential was nestled within my dream.

What I needed to do was to chase my dream. Now the only problem was I had so many dreams, witch one was I going to settle on. I decided I had a knack for working with people.

So Chase Your Potential was born with a mission statement to "help people find their dream or goal; verbalize the steps necessary to achieve the dream or goal; and, to become an advocate for their dream or goal". We all have wishes and desires, but who speaks for the goals or dreams? That is my job as a coach.

A couple things struck me having lived through the past week. I need to tell those in my life how much they mean to me and how lucky I am that they are in my life. And . . not knowing what is going to happen next - when God calls we drop everything, I must live my life to the fullest going after my dream and helping others live their's.

Chase Your Potential and achieve everything you want. It's simple but it's not easy. Working for what you dream is its own reward. You deserve to live your dream - after all - It's Your Dream.

Serenity Rules - Your Life Your Rules!
Namaste Speedo

No comments: