Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Taking Care of Myself

This is a taking care of Spaceship Speedo post. 

Over the weekend I discovered I was in a severe low grade depression. I was paralysed in my bed for the long weekend. I have never experienced a weekend like this that I can recall. It felt like the flue - with no fever. I could not move. With the events of the last 3 months - my breakup, Jose's death, Jeanette's passing - it just threw me into a wall at what seems like 100 MPH. I've survived, but I do not want to go there again ever. 

I searched out some friends who have some first hand experience with low grade depression. I was directed to a couple of books that might help me understand what is going on with me. Books first, professional help second - okay I'm a little stubborn.

Since I will be working on myself and a condition that has persisted since I was a kid - you know a couple of years ago . . . (still a sense of humor). . . I will be foregoing my usual posts. 

Instead I will try to document my progress to dispel my own depression. I feel that I am one of the lucky ones to have discovered what's going on with me - my ex told me that I have had a low grade depression all my life - I am always the last to know, accept and take action. I know that I need to reach out for help from friends so please feel free to comment on my posts with your experiences and insightful thoughts.

Wishing you all the best.

Namaste Speedo


No comments: