Sunday, August 31, 2008

What's Driving you Apart?

Is there something in your life that is driving you apart from what you love?

This is a serious question that we all need to ask ourselves. I need to look at this and it's my guess that you do too.

Throughout my life I have had people, friends, habits, addictions that has driven me  apart from what I love. In every instance I dreams have been destroyed by interference from my fears and others - this includes myself.

In 1980 I was dating a girl in Hawaii who was a Production Assistant TV pilot being filmed in the islands. She would talk about her day and I would sit there drooling as she talked. You see my dream was to work in movies and television. Oh by the way - the pilot was called Magnum PI. I was so insecure in my abilities to measure up as a writer or whatever, I turned down the opportunity to work on one of TVs most successful series. I kick myself when I think about it.

I was dating another beautiful, kind, wonderful woman a while back who walked away from me because I was addicted to drugs and alcohol. I did get sober soon after that, but I lost out on a wonderful relationship. She was first person who pushed me to write. A remarkable woman.

I worked for my family business for 20 years. We catered to the oil industry all over the world. I always put the business first over any of my dreams. Why? I didn't have the personal security, self-esteem, confidence to go after my dream no matter what. I was afraid to take the risk. (Read the anonymous prose in my "Risking New Experiences" post)

What I am trying to demonstrate is that no matter what I did - I was always the one who interfered with my dreams due to my fears and lack of confidence, self-esteem and courage to take a risk. I concentrated of the possibility of failure rather than the rewards of success. I do not know where I learned this. My father had an 8th grade education - yet he had no fear of failure. I didn't get it from him. 

I had friends around me who succeeded in all sorts of businesses and careers. They always told me that I had so much talent - yet talent does little if you do not have the courage to take a risk toward success. 

I know that I am not alone. I have heard stories from people I work with who are now finding the courage to chase their dreams. Together we walk hand in hand - taking small steps, each bring them closer to their dream. They have become my heroes.

Today I choose to take risks. When the door of opportunity opens - I step through it. I have changed my nervousness into excitement. I can't wait to see what is going to happen when the next door opens.

What changed was I came to a realization that changed my life. People really don't care what I do. They are too wrapped up in what they are doing. I know that this sounds too simple, but it's true. 

True friends are your friends because of who your are - not what you do. How you treat them. How you make them feel when you are around them. Not by your level of success. I cherish each and every friend that I have today. I am so lucky to have them in my life. I celebrate each relationship.

What's stopping you from chasing your dream?

Your Life - Your Rules!
Namaste Speedo

No comments: