Sunday, June 7, 2009

Stasis

Since I've moved to Wenatchee I have been diving back into my screenwriting craft. I've dedicated myself into developing new and old story lines that have been swimming around - or rather treading water for a number of years to see what if. 

I going over my development notes I have discovered that my story telling is interesting but lacks the flavor of emotional character depth - without which "who cares". I have vowed to change this by writing from the emotional side of the story - the internal story - then pasting an external story - plot - to the character internal flaws. Writing is an adventure.

Only by overcoming our - characters - internal flaws will we arrive at the point of "Stasis = death and re-birth". 

In all our lives, we will continue to live our life in the safety of what we know until we reach a point where we cannot live that way any more. "Everything I ever let go of is full of claw marks". We do not like to change what we know until we have to - 'Stasis'. Either by choice or the choice is made for us. 

In my case, the choice was made for me by my health issues - move to Wenatchee. I am looking at this as a positive opportunity for me - both health-wise and personally. I get to discard my outdated life that I have been hanging onto and take that empty handed leap across the void into an adventure that includes meeting new friends, exciting adventures and becoming  a better writer. 

My writing is going to explore my life - causes and conditions - that I have been unwilling to examine. I expect to experience a catharthist from looking at the emotional side of my character and the courage he has to muster up to win the external goal of living life free of the burdens that have arrested me. Freedom is the goal.

What is your Stasis in life that set you free? Have you identified them? Do you have the courage to?

Your Life - Your Rules!

Namaste Speedo

No comments: