Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Key to Happiness

I never use to ask for what I wanted. I expected people to act like I did. I would observe and respond with the appropriate gift, kind deed, project the right thing to do for them - read their minds or look into my crystal ball. All this brought me was frustration - wondering why nobody seemed to be able to read my mind. So it had to lead to my resenting friends, parents, sibling, etc.

What happened? I had to learn to forgive people for not reading my mind. I had to take a risk and ask for what I wanted in life, and that took courage and a lot of practice. I am still a little uncomfortable asking - but I practice daily.

The next thing I had to change in my life was to learn to ask people what they wanted in their life from me. I could no longer assume anything - I took this to the extreme at first, but again with practice I became more comfortable.

Am amazing thing happened to me - I became less judgemental and kinder to others. Now, I'm not trying to present my transformation is anywhere near perfect, but there has been a lot of progress.

The hardest place to practice this is with loved-ones, long-time friends and family. All I can say is I have built up a number of habits with these people and I have to remain conscience when I am around them. Most of the time my sarcasm is the weapon that I throw out attempting to be funny. It never works - I usually have to make an amends immediately and hope for some forgiveness.

What I have discovered is forgiveness begins first at home - then I can take it out into the streets. I use to tell people that I am not being judgemental - just a keen observer. What a crock! All I was doing was dressing judgements in a disguise - it gave me an excuse to be critical of everyone. I had to learn to appreciate the path that strangers, friends, loved-ones and family were on.

Today I try to walk in forgiveness and to be non-judgemental to everyone I meet. It's a struggle at times - but the reward is serenity and emotional sobriety. It allows me to create better relationships wherever I go. I compromise my ego and celebrate my fellows I meet as our paths cross.

Maybe our paths will cross. Forgiveness is my key to happiness.

Happiness is the result of practice.

Your Life - Your Rules!

Namaste Speedo

No comments: