Thursday, February 12, 2009

Marking time

How do you measure things?

Money is good but all too fleeting and the last couple of months have shown us. Accomplishments are milestones too, but there is always another one. Birthdays seem to be generally accepted by most folks. Runners measure in either distance or time. Salespeople measure in deals closed that lead to commission dollars. Teenagers use friends or groups for their markers. Kids I remember use toys accumulated. Mothers use ages and success of their kids. Men use acquiring stuff or affiliations.

Now the one thing all of the above have in common is that it takes time to measure anything. Whether you use money, things, distance, accomplishments - I believe they all represent a time frame of sorts.

I'm not big on New Year's as a marker of time. I use birthdays or anniversaries. I just seems more personal to me. I can gage where I was before and where I am at now.
I look at my goals list to see what has been accomplished and what needs to be added to this years goal list. Sometimes I surprise myself and see a goal that is no longer important to me. I strike it of the list, but not before reflecting why I put it on the list in the first place. Sometimes I crack myself up at my reasoning.
How do you measure time?
Your Life - Your Rules!
Namaste Speedo

No comments: