Monday, February 2, 2009

Staying Where Our Feet Are!

I was talking with a friend this morning about the Super Bowl. He told me that it was great. There was no "drama" in the room to disrupt the game.

Then he went on to tell me about his 16 year old son who is on probation with stipulations. He's messing up. He's not doing anything the court ask him to do. And it's driving my friend nuts.

He's loosing sleep, weight and because his wife is making excuses for their son's actions - he is alone with his concerns. He's tried simple reminders of the consequences for not following the court's direction - it doesn't phase his son.

I reminded my friend that the hardest thing that we as parents can do is nothing. At 16, his son is responsible, in the court's eyes, for his actions. It is his choices that got him into trouble in the first place and it seems that he is choosing to go down the road to self-destruction. No amount of love and worry can change that. It's sad to watch this. But we have to get to the point of accepting that it his son's choice - today.

I ask my friend if he can practice this simple exercise - try to stay where your feet are, just for now. It wont change what choices his son is making - but it will give him a little peace.

What is the drama going on in your life? Can you do anything to change it? If so, take the action. If not, practice staying where your feet are to find some peace.

Your Life - Your Rules!

Namaste Speedo

No comments: