Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Looking for Potential

I was thumbing through a magazine the other day at the barber shop and came across an article about New Year's resolutions. It talked about instead of lamenting and assessing what we had not accomplished on our 08 Resolution list, why not take a hard assessment of their potential success for 2009.

This stopped me in my tracks. True. For most of us, including me, I tend to look at the items still left to accomplish as failures. I never look at the potential that I can carry over to my new list.

So this year I am assessing what goals I had on my 08 list that I did not accomplish, but have the potential for completion this year. I was surprised.

One of the goals that did not get accomplished was working out seminars and speaking on Serenity Rules, Emotional Sobriety and Surviving Stressful Times. I wrote a while back about my invitation to join Business Relationship Program. By this invitation alone, I accomplished this big goal. Or at least I have the potential to accomplish this goal.

Another one of my goal for 08 was to create another income stream of $15,000/mo. The potential for this goal is close at hand. By joining BRP, I have the potential to achieve this goal. In fact, I may have to reevaluate this figure upward.

One more goal was to pick up 4 coaching clients per month. Again, by joining BRP I have the potential achieve this goal. In fact, I may have to reevaluate this goal.

By doing this exercise I have an entirely new outlook on my goal list. Instead of kicking myself about what I did not accomplish - I now have a tool to turn perceived failures into potential successes.

What about you? What items on your list have you kicked yourself over? Can you turn any of these from failure to accomplish to potential successes? I bet you can.

Your Life - Your Rules!

Namaste Speedo

No comments: